(via minjunkay)Source: gayswimmingtitans
TYPHOON HAIYAN RIPS THROUGH CENTRAL PHILIPPINES
Typhoon Haiyan is a Category 5 storm, the strongest typhoon of 2013 and said to be the “most powerful ever” to make landfall (with winds near 195-200 mph). Perspective: Superstorm Sandy was at 95mph when it hit New Jersey; Hurricane Katrina at 129mph when it hit land.
- Pre-emptive evacuations affect more than 161,000 families or more than 790,000 people in 37 provinces
- Typhoon Haiyan as seen from space
- Haiyan makes 6 landfalls - it affected an island chain in the central Philippines, making landfall in six islands. It gained wind power as it traversed through waters in between.
- Haiyan traverses areas affected by magnitude 7.1 earthquake - The earthquake left more than 200 dead dead on October 16; 1000 injured; 350,000 displaced. The survivors have been living in tents and evacuation areas. It passed through Leyte, Samar, Cebu (2.5 million residents), among others. All with densely populated cities, some of which are the poorest provinces in the country.
- 100 people killed in Tacloban — first estimate of casualties in the city reported today, November 9. Because the communication lines are down, the news centers have yet to take stock of the full extent of the damage. But the numbers are still expected to rise. The devastation was described as if a tsunami had wracked through it.
- 2:03PM 11/9: An estimated 4 million people have been affected by the typhoon
- 4:20PM 11/9: 90% of Baco Town in Oriental Mindoro flooded
- 4:55 PM 11/9: Bodies still scattered in Leyte as Visayas in shock
- 5:19PM 11/9: Negros Occidental under a state of calamity
- 7:34PM 11/9: Local officials expect the number of bodies found in Tacloban to reach 500
- eta: 7:45PM 11/9: Iloilo and Palawan declare state of calamity
- eta: 8:04PM 11/9: Update: 134 reported dead
- eta: 8:30PM 11/9: Thousands homeless in Ormoc, Leyte
- eta3: 10PM 11/9: Red Cross estimates 1,200 casualties
- eta3: 3AM 11/10: Aerial photo of Bantayan Island after Haiyan
- eta3: 3:23AM 11/10: At least 200 believed dead in Eastern Samar
The victims need all the help they can get. Cities have been leveled, buildings made of concrete were destroyed by strong winds and storm surges. Communications have yet to be reestablished in most of the areas affected by the typhoon. The full picture left behind by Haiyan has yet to be established yet the devastation reported on television is already extensive. The government is bracing for large-scale relief operations. Virtually 1/3 of the country has been ravaged by this natural disaster. And we need help.
HOW THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY CAN HELP
- donations via the Philippine Red Cross (including PayPal)
- donations via Habitat for Humanity
- donations via ANCOP Foundation USA
- eta: donations via UNICEF Philippines
- eta2: donations via CARE Australia
- eta2: donations via Caritas Internationalis
- eta2: donations via GMA Network (credit card)
- eta2: donations via World Vision
- eta2: donations via AmeriCares
- eta2: donations via Samaritan’s Purse (Canada)
- eta2: donations via Canadian Red Cross (or you can text REDCROSS or ROUGE to 30333 to donate $5)
FOR THOSE IN THE PHILIPPINES
- text donations via Globe
- Red Cross and DSWD relief operations (infographic)
- list of ongoing relief operations via Rappler
- donations via ABS-CBN News
- eta: relief operations via University of the Philippines
- eta: relief operations via the Department of Education
- eta: pick-up locations for donations via Air 21
HOW TO FILE FOR MISSING PERSONS
Please reblog and add other details I might’ve missed!
(via hyuktops)Source: stannisbaratheon
Fuck this post
Fuck this post so much.
You want a “Why not?”
How about the way your best friend’s older sister will throw up by the side of the road because she’s crying so hard
How about the way your best friend will sob for weeks in her showers, in her bedroom, in the bathroom at school
How about the way your mother will cry every time she looks at herself in the mirror and pictures herself bringing you home
How about the way your father’s eyes will NEVER stop mirroring the image of your hanging body
How about the way your boyfriend will sit in his room in silence, unable to eat or sleep, or even to fucking shower, because why would he want to continue without you
How about the way the girl who called you a brother will start crying every time she sees your parents
How about the way your family will sit in your house after the funeral looking blankly at one another, because god knows they can’t find a fucking thing to say that doesn’t just float through the air where you should be walking
How about the way your sister will wake up every morning and see your door and convince herself that you could still be there, just sleeping in your bed
How about the way your ex girlfriend will come over and pull your clothes from the drawers and cry while she holds them desperately to her face to breathe in what’s left of you
Don’t you dare tell me it won’t change things
There may be stars in the sky and wind in the air and sun in the clouds
But without you we do not want them
Don’t you dare be selfish enough to believe you aren’t important to us
So fuck this post
and fuck this romanticism of suicide
and fuck you for leaving my sister to cry in her room when she thinks nobody can hear
bless this reblog
Don’t you dare be selfish enough to believe you aren’t important to us.
this reminds me of my late baby brother…. he was nearly 2 years old when he passed away. I know that it’s not a suicide, but he left us, after 23 months….. and I did all those stuff. Crying in my campus’ bathroom, hugging his clothes hoping there’s still some of his scent left there, afraid to open his wardrobe cause I know there will be lots of things reminding me of him…. it just hurts. He’s the only boy in my family beside my dad, and my parents waited for him for almost 30 years. I miss him so bad.